Date: 8/23/07 1330 hrs
Personnel: Mansell Lee Hopper
Agency/Organization: Tennessee Dept of Agriculture, Division of Forestry, TN
Position: Forestry Aide 2
Summary: Mansell Lee "ML" Hopper was flagging a proposed fire control line in the Natchez Trace State Forest near Lexington. As he worked, Forestry Aide Hopper suffered a fatal heart attack. He was a Forestry Aid 2 with the Division of Forestry.
Natches Trace State Forest, Tennessee
- Tennessee Department of Forestry brief record:
- ML Hopper
- Heat stress injury on Rx burn
- Henderson County, TN
- USFA Memorial Database: Mansell L Hopper
- Obituary: Mansell Lee "ML" Hopper died August 23, 2007, while working on a crew clearing a fire trail in preparation for fire season. He was born October 2, 1932, in Ripley, Mississippi, to the late John Dalton Hopper and Emmie Swinford Hopper. In addition to his work with the Division of Forestry, he was a cattle farmer. He was a member of Natchez Trace Baptist Church. He was survived by his wife of 50 years, Excelle Jowers Hopper, of Lexington, who died January 1, 2010; his brother, B.T. Hopper, of Lawrenceburg; and many nephews and nieces.
- Tenneesee Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- More on the Memorial being built in Tennesee (pdf file)
Contributors to this article: Mellie
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation