Incident Name: a fire on the Tule Ranger District, Sequoia National Forest.
Date: August 18, 1960
Personnel: Donald Gilbert Akers
Agency/Organization: a private contractor under agreement with the US Forest Service
Position: aerial firefighter
Summary: On August 18, 1960, TBM air tanker pilot Don Akers came over a ridge on a retardant drop on a fire on the Sequoia National Forest and clipped the ridge. His Grumman TBM crashed, killing him.
Sequoia National Forest, Tule Ranger District
- Concise Information from the FAA, AAP and research by the WLF Staff:
- 1 killed, Donald Ackers
- Operator: unknown private contractor
- Type: Grumman TBM
- Location: Sequoia National Forest, Tule Ranger District
- FAA Registration # unknown
- NTSB # none
- For more information if it becomes available, consult the NTSB online lookup Utility.
- California Death Index: Donald G Akers
Name Donald G Akers
Event Type Death
Event Date 18 Aug 1960
Event Place Sierra, California, United States
Birth Date 22 Jul 1925
Mother's Name Mcclure
Contributors to this article: Bushey's report
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation