Personnel: Louis Caracciolo
Agency/Organization: South Bend Fire Department, Jacksonville, AR
Summary: On November 11, 1989, Firefighter Louis Caracciolo died of a heart attack while mopping up a wildland fire in Jackson, Arkansas. He was wearing full structural PPE.
South Bend Fire Department, Jacksonville, AR
- Excerpt from Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression ...
Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression
The article that this was transcribed from is no longer online -- was at tinhelmet.com under archives_files/mauney_wildland.pdf
The following portion was apparently a MTDC review of deaths of firefighters (1985-1999) wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) not designed for wildland fire conditions.
The following has info on firefighters that died... Ch 8 (pp 26-27) heart attack and heat stroke fatalities.
"The following individual firefighter fatality information was obtained from NFPA, NIOSH, and OSHA investigation reports as well as personal interviews with department personnel."
6.1 East Coast Fatalities
A firefighter wearing structural PPE died of a heart attack during mop-up of a wildland fire. This death occurred on November 11, 1989, in Jacksonville, Arkansas.
- MTDC: 1993 - Components of Wildland Fire Personal Protective Equiipment (PPE)
- United States Social Security Death Index: Louis Caracciolo
- US GenealogyBank Obituaries from USA Today, 17 nov 1989: Louis Caracciolo
- USFA Memorial Database: Louis Caracciolo
- Find a Grave: Louis Caracciolo, buried in the Little Rock National Cemetery, Pulaski County, Little Rock, AR
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation