Personnel: Frank Butler
Agency/Organization: Marysville Volunteer Fire Department, Martsville KS
Summary: Frank Butler, a firefighter with Marshall County, KS, died of a heart attack fighting a grass fire along a railroad track in Marysville, KS. He died on March 26, 1991 while wearing his structural PPE.
Marysville Volunteer Fire Department, Martsville KS
- Excerpt from Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression ...
Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression
The article that this was transcribed from is no longer online -- was at tinhelmet.com under archives_files/mauney_wildland.pdf
The following portion was apparently a MTDC review of deaths of firefighters (1985-1999) wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) not designed for wildland fire conditions.
The following has info on firefighters that died... Ch 8 (pp 26-27) heart attack and heat stroke fatalities.
"The following individual firefighter fatality information was obtained from NFPA, NIOSH, and OSHA investigation reports as well as personal interviews with department personnel."
6.2 Mid-West and West Coast Fatalities
(snip)Frank Butler, a firefighter with Marshall County, KS, died of a heart attack a prairie fire in Marysville, KS. He died on March 26, 1991 while wearing his structural PPE.
- MTDC: 1993 - Components of Wildland Fire Personal Protective Equiipment (PPE)
- Frank's name and death date are included in the USFA Firefighter Fatality Retrospective Study, published April 2002 (2,888 K pdf)
- USFA Memorial Database: Frank Butler
- Find a Grave: Frank Butler
Contributors to this article: Mellie
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation