Incident Name: a brush fire near Inverness, FL
Date: incident date: January 31, 1987; death date: February 3, 1987
Personnel: Peter A. Codella
Agency/Organization: Highland Volunteer Fire Department, Inverness, Florida
Summary: While pulling hose at a brush fire near Inverness, Florida, on January 31,1987, Peter Codella suffered a heart attack and collapsed. He died on February 3 according to his family.
Highland Volunteer Fire Department, Inverness, FL
- Excerpt from Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression ...
Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression
The article that this was transcribed from is no longer online -- was at tinhelmet.com under archives_files/mauney_wildland.pdf
The following portion was apparently a MTDC review of deaths of firefighters (1985-1999) wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) not designed for wildland fire conditions.
The following has info on firefighters that died... Ch 8 (pp 26-27) heart attack and heat stroke fatalities.
"The following individual firefighter fatality information was obtained from NFPA, NIOSH, and OSHA investigation reports as well as personal interviews with department personnel."
6.1 East Coast Fatalities
A firefighter wearing full structural PPE died of a heart attack while advancing hose lines at a wildland fire. This death occurred on January 31, 1987 in Inverness, FL.
- MTDC: 1993 - Components of Wildland Fire Personal Protective Equiipment (PPE)
- USFA Memorial Database: Peter A Codella
- US Geneology Bank Obituaries (submitted by his fire captain): Peter Arthur Codella
- US Geneology Bank Obituaries (submitted by his family): Peter Arthur Codella
- Florida Death Index: Peter Arthur Codella
- Honored at the Wildland Firefighters Foundation in Emmitsburg, Maryland.
Contributors to this article: Chief Ed Graham
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation