Incident Name: a Morgan County, TN Fire
Personnel: Clarence Edward Laymance
Agency/Organization: Tennessee Division of Forestry
Position: equipment operator, firefighter
Summary: On March 11, 1972, Clarence Laymance was working a fire off US Highway 97 about 1.5 miles east of Wartburg, TN on the tractor plow he was operating. Due to the steepness of the land, Clarence had trouble maneuvering the tractor. The tractor was found parked on the plow line with the ignition off and Clarence was found on the plow line approximately 30' from his tractor plow. Apparently he succumbed to smoke inhalation.
US Highway 97 about 1.5 miles east of Wartburg TN
- Brief anonymous record from the NWCG: Historical Wildland Firefighter Fatalities 1910 - 1996 (p 5) (408 K pdf)
Location: Warthog, Morgan Co., TN
Fire Behavior: Small 24 ac. fire. Wind gusts 20-25 mph. Fire crossed plowed line.
Remarks: Plow operator trapped and suffocated on bench on upper side of fire
- TN DOF: Smoke inhalation; succumbed on the fireline
- US Social Security Death Index: Clarence Laymance
- Tennessee Fallen Firefighters Memorial: Clarence Edward Laymance
- Find a Grave Iindex: Clarence Edwin Laymance
Contributors to this article: David Fiorella, Mellie
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation