Personnel: William Satterfield
Agency/Organization: Georgia Industrial Institute, Cornelia, Georgia
Summary: On 5/24/1984, William Satterfield died in a vehicle accident on his way to a grass fire near Cornelia, GA.
If you have any more details on this LODD, please let us know.
- NWCG brief incident information from NWCG Wildland Fire Fatalities by Year, 1910-2011
Responding to a grass fire
- Georgia Death Index: William Allen Satterfield
- Impact Georgia (pdf) Page 2 excerpt:
On May 22, 2013 the Georgia Department of Corrections celebrated 50 years of Fire Services at Station #1 at Lee Arrendale State Prison in Alto.
The inmate fire fighter program was established in 1963 by Buddy Brooks at the Georgia Industrial Institute, now Lee Arrendae State Prison. <snip>
During the celebration, wife of Chief Buddy Brooks and Chief Richard Truman were presented with plaques. Inmate William Allen Satterfield, the only inmate firefighter to die in the line of duty in 1984, was remembered and will be added to the Georgia Public Safety Memorial Wall in Forsyth during the 2014 Georgia Public Safety Memorial Ceremony.
- History of the GA Department of Corrections Fire Services Program (pdf)
- USFA Memorial Database: William A Satterfield
- William A Satterfield is on the National Memorial Wall at Emmitsburg, MD. Here's the 1984 National Wildland Firefighters Foundation plaque by state. His name is on the bottom left column.
Contributors to this article: Mellie
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation