Date: April 29, 1984
Personnel: 3 lives lost
Agency/Organization: Norwich University - Norwich Fire Brigade
Position: cadet firemen
Cadet David L. Anderson '84
Cadet Matthew R. Baran '87
Cadet Patrick deKramer '87, age 19
Cadet Thomas L. Wolfe '86 sustained a broken neck, rendering him a quadriplegic; he died suddenly on 11/2/2007
The firefighters were responding to a brush fire in Roxbury, Vermont when the fire truck they were riding in rolled over on Rt 12A in Northfield VT. David Anderson, Matthew Baran and Patrick de Kramer died. Thomas Wolfe was critically injured.
Vermont Rt 12A in Northfield VT
- The brief NWCG record only states that 3 lives were lost responding to a grass fire in Roxbury, Vermont.
- From the Norwich University Website:
The NU Corps of Cadets honored the memory of four cadet firemen who were involved in a fatal accident as members of the Norwich Fire Brigade on April 29, 1984 while responding to a brush fire in Roxbury, VT.
Tragically, three were killed while the fire truck they were riding in rolled over on Route 12A in Northfield: Cadet David L. Anderson '84, Cadet Matthew R. Baran '87, and Cadet Patrick deKramer '87. Cadet Thomas L. Wolfe '86 sustained a broken neck, rendering him a quadriplegic. After hospitalization and months of physical therapy, he returned to Norwich and earned his bachelor's degree. Tom died suddenly on November 2, 2007. (more about the ceremony at the link...)
- From familysearch.org: Patrick John de Kramer
- Fallen Cadet Firemen Honored: 25th anniversary
- USFA Memorial Database: David L Anderson | Matthew R Baran | Patrick John de Kramer
- David L. Anderson, Matthew R. Baran and Patrick deKramer are honored on the National Memorial Wall at Emmitsburg, MD. Here's the 1984 National Wildland Firefighters Foundation plaque by state. Their names are listed under Vermont.
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation