Incident Name: returning from Prescribed Fire on Witherbee Ranger District, Francis Marion NF
Date: 1/25/07, 2000 hrs
Personnel: Kenneth Patrick Fahey
Agency/Organization: US Forest Service
Position: Forestry Technician; Wildland, Full Time
Summary: Firefighter Fahey participated in a controlled burn. He was relieved by other firefighters and released to return to his base station on the Francis Marion National Forest, Wambaw Witherbee Ranger District, Region 8.
As he drove his unit back to base, the vehicle operated by Wildland Firefighter Fahey crossed the center line of Steed Creek Road for unknown reasons and struck an oncoming semi-truck. Both vehicles were estimated to have been traveling at 55 miles per hour. After impact, both vehicles burst into flames. Kenneth Fahey and the driver of the truck were killed.
Firefighter Fahey was driving a 3/4-ton pickup with dual rear wheels and a slip-in brush pump and tank assembly. The water capacity of the water tank was 200 gallons. Forestry Technician Fahey was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash.
The autopsy listed the cause of death as head/neck blunt force trauma.
Ab Note: In his career, Ken had been a member of the Malheur Rappel Crew (John Day OR) and Ashville Hotshot Crew (Asheville NC).
- US Forest Service: 24 Hour Briefing (51 K pdf)
- Preliminary Findings from the US Forest Service: 72 Hour Briefing (109 K pdf)
- US Forest Service Heroes Memorial: Kenneth Fahey
- WLF Holtist LODD Thread: SC-FMF-Kenneth Fahey; died 2007-01-25
- Article from The Berekely Independent, Crash claims two (351K pdf)
- Announcement for Memorial Service: Kenneth Fahey (52K pdf)
Contributors to this article: Mellie, John Miller, Rene Vanderhooft
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation