Incident Name: Ace Creek Fire in the northeastern corner of Washington
Personnel: Cash L. Hopkins
Agency/Organization: a Washington State (DNR) fire; the Washington State inmate crew
Summary: On August 16, 1986, Cash Hopkins died after being struck by a falling green snag while on a fire assignment in eastern Washington.
Area of Ace Creek Fire, Pend Orielle County, Coleville - Washington DNR. If anyone has a more specific location, please let us know.
- Firefighters gaining ground as lightning eases
August 17, 1986 | Tri City Herald (link no longer works)
"Inmate Cash Hopkins was struck by a falling snag in eastern Washington," the Pend Orielle County Sheriff said.
- Lessons Learned Center Database has a record. The incident was not reported in 1986, possibly because the incident was referred to the Pend Orielle County Sheriff's Department, so details are not known.
- Cash Hopkins named as fallen
- Info about the crews and changes that were made after Cash died:
- USFA Memorial Database: Cash L Hopkins
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation