Personnel: Richard E Wilson
Agency/Organization: Glenwood Springs Department of Emergency Services, Glenwood Springs CO
Summary: On 6/29/1992, Firefighter Wilson suffered a heart attack during the mop-up stage of a wildland fire and died. He was wearing full structural PPE.
Glenwood Springs Fire Department, Glenwood Springs CO
- Lessons Learned Center: Incident Database
Excerpt from Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression ...
Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression
The article that this was transcribed from is no longer online -- was at tinhelmet.com under archives_files/mauney_wildland.pdf
The following portion was apparently a MTDC review of deaths of firefighters (1985-1999) wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) not designed for wildland fire conditions.
The following has info on firefighters that died... Ch 8 (pp 26-27) heart attack and heat stroke fatalities.
"The following individual firefighter fatality information was obtained from NFPA, NIOSH, and OSHA investigation reports as well as personal interviews with department personnel."
6.2 Mid-West and West Coast Fatalities
On June 26, 1992, a Glenwood Springs, CO, firefighter died of a heart attack during the mop-up stage of a wildland fire. He was wearing full structural PPE.
- MTDC: 1993 - Components of Wildland Fire Personal Protective Equiipment (PPE)
- USFA Memorial Database: Richard Wilson
- Richard's name and death date are included in the USFA Firefighter Fatality Retrospective Study, published April 2002 (2,888 K pdf)
- US Social Security Death Index: Richard E Wilson
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation