Personnel: Norman S Prime
Agency/Organization: South China Fire Department, South China, Maine
Position: firefighter, deputy chief
Summary: On March 29, Deputy Chief Norman Prime of the South China Fire Department died of a heart attack while fighting a brush fire. He was wearing structural PPE.
South China Fire Department, South China, Maine
- Excerpt from Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression ...
Protective Clothing for Wildland Fire Suppression
The article that this was transcribed from is no longer online -- was at tinhelmet.com under archives_files/mauney_wildland.pdf
The following portion was apparently a MTDC review of deaths of firefighters (1985-1999) wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) not designed for wildland fire conditions.
The following has info on firefighters that died... Ch 8 (pp 26-27) heart attack and heat stroke fatalities.
"The following individual firefighter fatality information was obtained from NFPA, NIOSH, and OSHA investigation reports as well as personal interviews with department personnel."
6.1 East Coast Fatalities
Deputy Chief Norman Prime of the South China, ME, FD, died of a heart attack on March 29, 1995, while fighting a brush fire. He was wearing structural PPE.
- MTDC: 1993 - Components of Wildland Fire Personal Protective Equiipment (PPE)
- Information and analysis included in the Firefighter Fatality Report for 1995 (297 K pdf)
- Maine Death Index: Norman Steadfast Prime
- Social Security Death Record: Norman S Prime
- USFA Memorial Database: Norman Prime
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation