Incident Name: A fire east of San Luis Obispo, near Pozo CA
Date: September 8, 1958
Personnel: 2 lives lost
Agency/Organization: US Forest Service
Position: aerial firefighters, pilots
Arnel Talbot, pilot, age 28
Stuart Kolgour, copilot, age 38
Arnel J Talbot Jr., pilot, and Stuart A Kilgour, under contract with the US Forest Service, were killed on September 8, 1958 in a PBY air tanker crash near Pozo (east of San Luis Obispo) while flying to put out fire.
photo credits: J. Foster
- Concise Information from the AAP, USFS and research by the WLF Staff.
- Date: September 8, 1958
- 2 killed: Arnell Talbot, pilot, and Stuart Kilgour, co-pilot
- Operator: unknown but under contract with the US Forest Service
- Type: PBY
- Location: east of San Luis Obispo CA (near Pozo)
- FAA Registration number is unknown.
- The NTSB online lookup Utility currentlyonly goes back to 1962.
- US Forest Service Heroes: Arnel James Talbot, Jr | Stuart Ashburn Kilgour
- California Death Index: Arnel James Talbot, Jr | Stuart A Kilgour
- Arnel Talbot is buried at Sunnyside Memorial Park in Long Beach CA: Family Search Archive
Contributors to this article: photos of PBY: J. Foster, John Miller, Airtanker Pilots Memorial
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation