Incident Name: unknown fire believed to be on Eightmile Ridge, Winthrop Ranger District, Chelan National Forest
Personnel: Russell Blakely
Summary: On August 27, 1934 Russell Blakely was fighting a fire believed to be in the Eightmile area when he was struck by a rolling rock. He died from his injuries.
(From the Methow Valley Wildland Firefighter Memorial Brochure, 2007.)
Print image of the memorial sculpture from the Methow Valley Memorial Dedication Brochure, 2007
Believed to be Eightmile area; Eightmile Ridge is marked below.
- Washington Death Certificate
Name: Russel Blakely
Event Date: 27 Aug 1934
Event Place: Winthrop, Okanogan, Washington
Age (Formatted): 27 years 2 months 14 days
Birth Year (Estimated): 1907
- Theysaid: 9/14/06, raising money for the memorial
- Methow Valley Wildland Firefighter Memorial, dedicated Nov 27, 2007: Brochure (690 K pdf)
- Online Article: Firefighting Memorial Dedication is Nov. 27 in Winthrop
- Memorial located in Mac Lloyd Park in Winthrop, WA.
Memorial Location: From Hwy 20 at milepost 191.5, in the town of Winthrop, turn left (west) into the municipal parking lot at the big Red Barn (If anyone knows the lat/lon, please let us know.)
Rt 20 at Winthrop, WA
Contributors to this article: Tom Leuschen, Wildland Firefighter Foundation, John Miller
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation