Incident Name: an Eight Mile Ridge fire, Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
Personnel: Leroy Pennock of Twisp, WA
Agency/Organization: worked for Biles Colman Lumber Company, probably also worked for the Forest Service on this fire
Summary: On July 18, 1970, Leroy Pennock of Twisp died of a heart attack while fighting fire on Eight Mile Ridge near Winthrop. He was a sawyer for Biles Colman Lumber Company. (from the Methow Valley Memorial brochure)
Print image of the memorial sculpture from the Methow Valley Memorial Dedication Brochure, 2007
- US Social Security Death Index: Leroy Pennock
- Theysaid: 9/14/06, raising money for the memorial
- Methow Valley Wildland Firefighter Memorial, dedicated Nov 27, 2007: Brochure, front page (690 K pdf)
- No longer Online Article from omakchronicle.com: Firefighting Memorial Dedication is Nov. 27 in Winthrop
- Memorial located in Mac Lloyd Park in Winthrop, WA.
Memorial Location: From Hwy 20 at milepost 191.5, in the town of Winthrop, turn left (west) into the municipal parking lot at the big Red Barn (If anyone knows the lat/lon, please let us know.
Rt 20 at Winthrop, WA
- Find a Grave record: Leroy Pennock
Contributors to this article: Tom Leuschen, Wildland Firefighter Foundation
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation