Incident Name: Baldy Fire
Date: burnover occurred on 7/13/1984; Mike died on 7/14/1984 at 1800 hrs at Chico Community Hospital, Chico CA
Personnel: Mike Mattioda
Agency/Organization: Lakeshore Fire Protection District in Clear Lake, CA evolving into a CDF jurisdiction fire, Lake-Napa Ranger Unit
Summary: On 7/13/84 CDF and Lakeshore Fire Protection District responded to a structure fire in Clear Lake CA. Shortly thereafter the fire spotted into CDF (SRA) lands. During their direct attack effort to control the raging grass and brush fire on Mount Baldy, two firefighters were burned. PPE was minimal to non-existant. Craig Scovel received superficial burns and survived. Mike Mattioda died the next day from burns over 70-90% of his body.
General Incident Location: Bald Mountain east of Clear Lake CA
- Baldy Fire Report (685 K pdf)
- National firefighter LODD Plaque for 1984 with CA: Michael P. Mattioda
- July 14, 1984 Santa Rosa Press Democrat article on page 1, Mount Baldy Fire Claims Heavy Toll. While the photo and tanker crash are about Ted Bell, there is a description of the critical burns Mike received on the Baldy Fire near Clear Lake.
- USFA Memorial Database: Michael P Mattioda
- Michael Mattioda is honored on the California Fallen Firefighters Wall in Sacramento, CA.
- Michael Mattioda is honored on the USFA National Fallen Firefighters Memorial in Emmitsburg, MD. Look for his name under California.
Contributors to this article: Chris Anderson
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation