Personnel: Todd Allen Blanchard
Agency/Organization: Eastern Wake Fire and Rescue
Summary: Firefighter Blanchard and his engine company responded to a report of a brush fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene and found a fire in a large hollow oak tree, which had been the subject of a previous response. The Fire Chief sent a second engine with a large water tank to the scene to assist. When the second engine arrived, the crew utilized the deck gun on the pumper to apply water from a distance. They utilized the 1,000 gallons of water that was onboard the pumper, but failed to extinguish the fire completely. Four firefighters approached the tree to assess the impact of the water application. Two of the firefighters returned to the apparatus and 2 firefighters, including Firefighter Blanchard, remained near the tree. Firefighters near the apparatus heard cracking sounds and turned to see a large tree limb falling from the tree. Firefighter Blanchard was struck by the tree limb, whose diameter was reported to be 24 inches. Firefighters rushed to his location and got him out from under the limb. Medical treatment was initiated and an ambulance was requested. Firefighter Blanchard was transported to the hospital, but did not survive his injuries, which was determined to be massive chest trauma.
the intersection of Turnipseed Road and Major Slade Road in the unincorporated Knightdale area
Eastern Wake Fire and Rescue, Knightdale, NC 27545
- USFA Memorial Database: Todd Blanchard
- Memorial services: Edenton Street United Methodist Church in downtown Raleigh; Saturday, July 16.
- Over a mile of fire and EMS vehicles -- from Wake, Cumberland, Durham, Harnett, Johnston, Nash, and Wayne counties -- escorted mourners from Eastern Wake Station 1 on Poole Road to the church.
- Memorial Fund Info: In memory of Firefighter Todd A. Blanchard, c/o Eastern Wake Fire and Rescue, 4828 Clifton Road, Knightdale, NC 27545
- Eastern Wake Fire and Rescue: Memorial with Photos of Todd
- Legeros.com: North Carolina Fallen Firefighters Todd Blanchard
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation