Incident Name: Coop Fire (occurred on Easter Sunday) near Augusta, WI
Date: 4/3/94, Easter Sunday; died 4/18/94
Personnel: Robert Waskiewicz
Agency/Organization: Augusta-Bridge Creek Fire Department
Summary: On April 3, firefighters initial attacked a small 80 acre fire in grass fields and oak ridges near Augusta WI. A large gust of wind suddenly increased flame heights from 1 - 2 ft. to 20 - 25 ft. in seconds. The firefighters tried to outrun the 25' wall of fire on foot. Firefighter Waskiewicz fell and received extensive burn injuries over 50% of his body. He died 15 days later. He was wearing turn out gear, coat, helmet, and boots.
Fire was near Augusta WI. His home station was Augusta Fire Department, 207 North Stone, Augusta WI 54722.
- Robert's name, death date and brief bio are included in the USFA Firefighter Fatality Retrospective Study, published April 2002 (2,888 K pdf)
- USFA Memorial Database: Robert Waskiewicz
- Name is on the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial under Wisconsim
- Memorial page on WLF.com
- Wisconsin State Firefighters Memorial: Robert Waskiewicz
- Firefighters Risk Their Lives to Save Others
December 11, 2011, Online Article, in Section "Dying on Duty"
Contributors to this article: Jim Goble (Pu;aski) for the photo of the memorial
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation