Incident Name: Hull Mountain Fire near Medford, Oregon
Personnel: Sidney Maplesden, Jr
Agency/Organization: under contract with Oregon Department of Forestry
Position: Dozer Operator
Summary: On August 25, Sidney Maplesden, Jr, a contract bulldozer operator was attempting to cut a fire break around a spot fire on the Hull Mountain Fire near Medford, on Oregon Department of Forestry lands. Fire behavior became extreme: 90 degree temperature; relative humidity was 22%; and it was burning in oak, madrone, ponderosa pine. The fire began spotting up to one-quarter mile. Fire intensity quickly grew and the fire became a large plume dominated event. Sidney Maplesdon and his dozer were overrun by the main fire and he was killed.
The Hull Mountain Fire was near Medford, OR in Sam's Valley
- Comments in a brief report: "Burnover - dozer - critical fire behavior predictions not available to victim. Individual working alone, no communications, no lookout, no dozer boss. Victim had no wildland firefighter training."
- Oregon Death Index: Sydney Bruce Maplesden
- USFA Memorial Database: Sidney Bruce Maplesden Jr and on the National Fallen Firefighters' Monument plaque under
- Sydney's name, death date and brief bio are included in the USFA Firefighter Fatality Retrospective Study, published April 2002 (2,888 K pdf) Oregon
- Oregon Department of Forestry cited:
Forest Service Fire Management Today, Vol 55, No. 1, 1995 "In Memoriam":
Oregon Memorial to Fallen Firefighters:
Contributors to this article: Mellie
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation